First of all I printed a contact sheet of the roll I was selecting an image from. The contact sheet was created on Ilford 10"x8" RC Matte, 40 seconds on grade 5 and 30 second on grade 0, Dev, 2 mins, stop 30 seconds and fix for 10, 1 hour wash, and a day to dry.
From the contact sheet I can see the overall exposure is good, there are a wide range of tones and shapes.
The first print batch I attempted was using, Ilford Warm Tone, 12"x16" FB. these were going to be big prints and hard to get perfect. I set my boundaries too high for this session. But I tested the paper and image using split grade and timed intervals. The warm tone Fibre has a slower sensitivity to light than standard RC allowing for more time to control the print, I worked out the border and cropping, the times were going to be long enlarging at this size (roughly 11"x14" inside of 12"x16"); about 140 seconds on grade 5 and 90 second on grade 0 with 2 stops taken back on the lens from wide open.
I managed to create 3 successful prints that I was happy with, after drying and flattening I decided to print the portfolio part of the project on 10"x8" fibre and make the final print on 12"x16" and scan that to get enlarged to the 75cm x50cm print for exhibition.