Firstly I set the enlarger up so that I knew what negatives I was going to print. I then heated up about 40ml of Black Magic emulsion and stirred it regularly in the heater. I then coated a sheet of the Cotton Rag paper with 2 coats of the emulsion to make sure there was a decent thick layer and no thin obvious brush strokes. I then used the hair dryer to dry the paper after coating. Once dry I treated the paper just like ordinary Ilford Fibre Base paper. The Eisel was set up with the correct framing, so from here I did a test.
I created one initial test print using a whole sheet of paper and a double coating of the emulsion and created my first print at 5 second intervals on high contrast (Grade 5, on the Ilford enlarger), I developed it fro about 2 minutes. Straight away I could see how using this liquid emulsion differs from ordinary pre coated ilford paper. As soon as the paper went into the dev it instantly started to reveal the exposed area, where as with ordinary paper it would take 30 seconds or so, I guess this is because there is no layers protecting the silver content in the paper, so the reaction is almost instant from the point of contact. This was interesting because it means I could be precise with developing times, maybe I could pour it on to the print to develop certain places first... Just an idea.
Anyway I printed and figured out the exposure times and the right contrast for my first print.